Fortis Mining, Engineering, and Manufacturing is currently recruiting for a team player to fulfill the role of a Health & Safety Coordinator (Site Based). The H&S Coordinator will assist and coach employees promoting a safe workplace. This position will assist company management and workers to understand the company and the Client’s expectations, policies, and procedures, and assist in the planning and execution and legislated practices. This position is considered safety sensitive and therefore it is a condition of employment to pass a Drug & Alcohol test.
If you are a safety professional with experience in the underground Potash industry and you are committed to being a champion of safety, diversity & inclusion, and teamwork, we want to hear from you!
To command a strong reputation for quality and excellence, the company believes that knowledgeable people are crucial assets. We hire and develop the best people who are dedicated, ethical, and committed to continuous improvement.
Location: Nutrien Vanscoy, SK
- Lead by example and demonstrate a positive safety attitude.
- Assist in the development of Job Hazard Analysis, development of safe work practices and safe job procedures specific to the project.
- Champion and promote the use of Northern Strands Group of Companies policies and procedures.
- Champion the client’s expectations for specific onsite safety requirements.
- Assist with Incident/ event reporting and investigation, including spill reporting and follow-up and return to work processes.
- Advise and coach project supervision on health and safety matters.
- Assist with a schedule for regular workplace inspections.
- Coach and assist with regular task observations, coaching employees, and monitor compliance to all safety standards.
- Report on site KPIs – training, risk assessment, orientations,
- Provide training and orientations and update emergency response plans. Communicate emergency response plans and hold regular drills with site personnel. Document learnings and communicate after each drill.
- Prepare and issue monthly and weekly Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) reports
- Monitor and coach on the quality of FLRA Cards and other safety documents.
- Participate in incident investigations with site management.
- Set up a schedule, assign leaders and participate in weekly safety meetings.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Minimum 5 years of experience working as a Health and Safety Professional in the mining and construction fields (preferably within the Potash industry)
- 5+ years of experience in an underground Potash mine preferred
- Preference will be given to the candidates with a recognized Safety designation, such as Construction Safety Officer (CSO/NCSO) and OH&S Certificate/Diploma or Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Have an in-depth working knowledge of Saskatchewan Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and Saskatchewan Mining Regulations
- Proficient in safety applications, Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Ability to work on a rotation based schedule
Our diverse Group of Companies consists of Northern Strands, Fortis Mining Engineering & Manufacturing, and Certified Mining & Construction comprising 14 divisions ranging from rigging/lifting products, fall protection, suspended access, agri-business field services and safety training to mining site services, fabrication, rentals, repairs, testing and recertification. This diversity provides for an exciting environment with the opportunity to work with our employees and managers in every division.
Northern Strands is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants, however only those selected to continue the recruitment process will be contacted!